Public Works Laborer
Company: Borough of Greencastle
Posted on: November 26, 2022
*Borough of Greencastle *
*Job Description *
Public Works Laborer
*Public Works Laborer *
*Reports To: * Public Works Manager
* This is a semi-skilled, manual labor position involved with the
maintenance of Borough streets, water and wastewater main line
* Work, as assigned and supervised by the Public Works Manager,
requires strenuous physical effort and exposure to uncomfortable
surroundings and weather conditions where manual labor duties are
* This employee performs a variety of maintenance duties and, once
trained in standard operations, is expected to work efficiently and
* The ideal candidate will be a team player, with appropriate
communication skills, capable of following oral and/or written
directions to complete assignments, and has interest in long-term
* The ideal candidate will demonstrate a solid work ethic,
including a strong commitment to safety while building, repairing
and maintaining the Borough's infrastructure.
*Typical Examples of Work Performed *
* Exhibits a skilled understanding of the operation of light road
maintenance equipment, hand tools, and mowers.
* Operates equipment including, but not limited to, dump trucks,
backhoe, front-end loader, bobcat, bobcat sweeper excavating
vacuum, leaf vacuum, mainline sewer jetter, roller and sprayers,
snow plows, and salt spreaders.
* Checks equipment for proper operation and performs routine
* Participates in maintenance work on streets, water and sewer
mains, and service lines by performing manual labor using
* Assists with snow and ice control for parking lots, sidewalks,
crosswalks and facilities of Borough owned areas.
* Performs manual labor on assigned projects such as sidewalk/curb
installation and repair, patching of pot holes, and washing and
cleaning of vehicles and equipment.
* Assists with the mowing of grass, cutting and trimming of trees,
clearing brush, spraying weeds, and leaf collection.
* Performs other work assignments as assigned recognizing that the
duties listed herein are not all inclusive of functions performed
on a daily, monthly or annual basis.
*Education, Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Licensing
* A high school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED) is
* Knowledge of the proper operating procedures and safety practices
associated with maintenance equipment and supplies.
* Recognize operational defects of vehicles and other equipment to
ensure proper repairs are performed.
* Prior experience in the public works sector and/or water
treatment and distribution is preferred.
* A valid Pennsylvania motor vehicle license with a Class C
endorsement and a Class B with an airbrake endorsement current or
to be obtained within one year of employment.
* Current Pennsylvania State Flagging Certification or to be
obtained within six months of employment.
*_I acknowledge that I have read the "Definition", "Typical
Examples of Work Performed" and "Required Knowledge, _*
*_Skills, Abilities, Education, and Licensing" for the Public Works
Laborer and I certify that I can perform these functions. _*
(Applicant Signature) (Date) (Witness Signature)
_Management has the right to recommend to the Personnel Committee
additions and/or modifications to duties of the position at any
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17.00 - $19.00 per hour
* Dental insurance
* Health insurance
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Retirement plan
* Vision insurance
* 8 hour shift
* Day shift
* Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
* Greencastle, PA 17225: Reliably commute or planning to relocate
before starting work (Required)
* Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: Borough of Greencastle, Germantown , Public Works Laborer, Other , Greencastle, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!