Company: Healthcare Partners
Posted on: June 25, 2022
$1500 sign on bonus for new hires!
JOB SUMMARY: Under minimal supervision, coordinates and schedules
all procedures into the scheduling system for all providers,
technicians, rooms and equipment when applicable. Works as a
liaison between physicians/office staff, patients and the service
department to provide accurate and complete schedules for
procedures. Provides instruction to patients regarding procedural
preparation. Adheres to the policies of Optum and the Polyclinic
and the policies of the department or facility providing
Monday - Friday - 40 hours/week, 8:30 AM to 5 PM or 8:00 AM to 4:30
The Polyclinic - Broadway
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: The duties listed below are
intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that
may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties
does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar,
related or a logical assignment.
40% Scheduling procedures
* Schedules procedures appropriately. May interact with various
* Fills empty spaces on schedules as cancellations occur from
patient waiting list
* Identify scheduling conflicts, notify appropriate people, and
rearrange schedules to eliminate conflicts
* Calls patients from specialty referral list to arrange for
preventive screenings when applicable.
* Accurately takes basic historical data and documents to
facilitate procedural scheduling and follows protocols and
guidelines for appropriate procedure/test.
* Communicates patients concerns of change in health status to MD
or MA staff.
* Communicates clinical information with other clinic disciplines
in regard to procedures. (Anticoagulation clinic, Anesthesia,
Hospital, radiology, interpretive services, etc.)
* Assists with patient recalls
* May interact directly with patients, physicians, Optum staff or
PEMC staff on a daily basis to schedule and coordinate rooms,
equipment, supplies and procedural/testing schedules as well as
coordination of billing for appropriate services.
* May perform insurance pre-authorization when applicable
* May submit charges for services rendered when applicable.
40% Patient Education
* Provides established written instructions and instructs patients
regarding appropriate procedures on preparations for procedure,
medication and dietary restrictions for procedures.
* Instructs patients to proper location for tests.
* Asks appropriate questions regarding insurance/referral
* Reviews paperwork from primary care office to assure patient is
appropriately referred for screening or other procedure.
* Reviews medical history with patient before scheduling
* Determines from basic history information per protocol whether
patient may go directly to procedure or will need office consult
* Following written parameters, instructs patients on how to alter
medications (insulin, Coumadin, etc.) in preparation for
* Arranges for and verifies interpretive services are available for
15% Answering telephones and Voice Mail
* Check voice-mail often throughout the day
* Answer phone calls as they come into the department
* Prioritize phone calls and voice-mail
* Communicates with clinical staff regarding urgent phone calls.
Gather pertinent information for taking clear, complete telephone
encounters (TEs) according to standard work (SW) and direct patient
calls to clinical staff according to clinic policy
* Perform patient interviews over the phone for those patients
scheduling by phone to make sure they are scheduling at the
appropriate facility, and appropriate procedure.
Duties listed below are integrated into all job functions:
* All staff members are to promote a positive and productive work
environment by acting maturely and responsibly, satisfactorily
performing his or her job responsibilities and conducting
themselves in a professional, courteous and respectful manner
toward fellow employees, physicians and patients.
* Must relate to other people beyond giving and receiving
instructions: (a) get along with co-workers or peers without
exhibiting behavioral extreme; (b) perform work activities
requiring negotiating, instructing, supervising, persuading or
speaking with others; and (c) respond openly and appropriately to
feedback regarding performance from a supervisor.
* Performs all duties in a manner which promotes and supports the
Core Values and Compact of Optum.
* Integrates Lean principles, practices and tools to improve
operational efficiency, reduce costs and increase customer
* Frequently must follow written and oral instructions as well as
complete routine tasks independently.
* Completes annual compliance training on
Statement and signs Agreements.
* Ensures confidentiality of patient information following HIPAA
guidelines and Optum policies.
* Attends training to meet requirements of the job position and as
needed or mandated by Optum policies, Div. of Occupational Safety &
Health (DOSH), OSHA, L&I and other state/federal
* Has regular and predictable attendance.
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
2% performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Note that these requirements are
representative, but not all-inclusive, of the knowledge, skill, and
ability required to perform this job.
Knowledge: Some knowledge of CPT, ICD-10 coding practices, medical
terminology and anatomy. Basic knowledge of Lean principle and
Skills: Computer and Microsoft Office Suite applications skills.
Legible handwriting. Good detailed organizational skills. Strong
professional customer services skills, upbeat and enthusiastic
Abilities: Able to communicate clearly, concisely. Able to
multitask. Able to prioritize. Able to react calmly, professionally
and effectively in demanding and/or emergency situations. Ability
to establish and maintain effective, positive working relationships
with patients, staff and physicians.
Education: High school diploma or GED (preferred) or equivalent
Experience: Some experience or knowledge of insurance/referral
authorization and scheduling procedures preferred. Some experience
with computer operations including Epic and PHS scheduling programs
Certificate/License: CPR Certification (updated annually),
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS The physical and mental demands
described here are representative of those that must be met by
employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly
required to sit, walk and stand; talk or hear, both in person and
by telephone; use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or
operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; and
lift up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this
job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly
required to use written and oral communication skills; read and
interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve
non-routine and complex office administrative problems; may use
math and mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations;
learn and apply new information or skills; perform highly detailed
work on multiple, concurrent tasks; work under intensive deadlines
with frequent interruptions; and interact with managers, staff,
customers, patients, the public and others encountered in the
course of work, some of whom may be dissatisfied or abusive
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: The work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job.
Typical office conditions and noise level is usually quiet.
Interaction with others is busy, constant and occasionally
interruptive. Work may be demanding at times. May require ability
to work irregular hours.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CONTACT RELATIONSHIPS: Direct and indirect contact with patients,
staff, physicians, and external hospital staff.
* Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this
role. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and
local regulations as well as all client requirements and will
obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure
* UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report
their COVID-19 vaccination status. Employees must comply with any
state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a worksite
building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where
physical distancing cannot be attained.
Job descriptions represent a general outline of job duties,
functions and qualifications. They are not intended to be
comprehensive in nature. In addition, jobs evolve over time and
therefore their description may not reflect the precise nature of
the position at a given point in time.
Keywords: Healthcare Partners, Germantown , Surgery Scheduler, Healthcare , Broadway, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!