ALS Technician - Waynesboro Hospital
Company: WellSpan Health
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Full time position (72 hrs. biweekly)Night shiftWeekends and
ALS Technicians will be primarily utilized to serve as an
unlicensed assistance personnel to the Emergency Department Nurse,
Physician, or Paramedic in providing patient care and drive the
pre-hospital Advanced Life Support unit.Job Specifics
- Acts within the scope of practice for EMT's as defined in Pa.
Act 82 and its rules and regulations.
- Responds to all pre-hospital emergencies as directed by
Franklin County Communications and assist with patient care in
accordance with Dept. of Health, and Act 82 rules and regulations.
- Operates an emergency vehicle in a safe and efficient manner in
accordance with Pennsylvania vehicle code.
- Maintenance and safe operation of the Medic 2 vehicles and
- Ensures cleanliness and completeness of ALS equipment and
vehicles by performing daily equipment checks at the beginning of
each shift and documenting same.
- Acts as a representative of the hospital in offering customer
service to all by demonstrating effective communication,
responsiveness, and sensitivity to others.
- Answers call bells to determine patient needs.
- Maintains composure while working with patients, patient's
families, ambulance personnel and public safety officers under
trying physical and emotional circumstances.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of the hospital and the
- Attends hospital in-service programs as well as monthly
departmental staff meetings.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times and follows the
Emergency Department protocol for release of information.
- Assumes responsibility for self-development and growth by
attending continuing education programs, and participates in the
mandatory training i.e. Fire and Electrical Safety, Infection
Control and Hazardous Material in-services.
- Maintains all certification requirements.
- Participates in mandatory training.
- Assists with positioning patients, lifting, turning and
- Within the scope of their training demonstrates successful
communication with patients, understanding of patient needs in the
data collection process, treatment, and/or care of patients ranging
from neonate to geriatric.
- Participates in providing explanation for treatment and
procedures, as well as, keeping the patient and family informed of
delays and ED processes.
- Assists in defusing volatile patients when necessary.
- Assists in the observation of psych, intoxicated or confused
- Assists with genitourinary exam of same sex patient, as
directed, to include specimen collection, with use of proper
containers and labeling procedures.
- Identifies life-threatening dysrhythmias and reports promptly
- Establishes saline lock and performs venipuncture per order of
- Assists RN with bedside procedures and the on-going observation
and documentation of patient's responses to treatment and
intervention, to include monitoring of LOC, respiratory status,
vital signs, pulse oximetry, neurovascular status and I&O.
- Performs eye irrigations with Morgan Lens as directed.
- Inserts and discontinues urinary catheters.
- Administers non-medicated enemas.
- Participates in code team responsibilities and responds to
emergency situations displaying competency and knowledge.
- Maintains alignment and traction while assisting with
application and removal of complex orthopedic devices, i.e.: casts,
c-spine immobilization, Hare traction, etc.
- Applies and maintains basic supplemental oxygen devices at
ordered flow rate.
- Performs diagnostic procedures which include glucose-checks, 12
lead ECGs and urine dips.
- Applies various types of splints, which include ace wraps,
slings, finger splints, forearm splints, knee immobilizers, air
splints, and OCL splints.
- Measures and properly adjusts crutches for patient use. Assists
on in teaching patients crutch walking techniques.
- Reports all observed symptoms, reactions to treatment, and
changes in the patient's condition to the nurse/physician and
documents these accurately and concisely.
- Anticipates need for procedures and sets up for complex
procedures in advance, including needed supplies.
- Performs data entry functions (order and charge entry).
- Assists with the admission, transfer, and discharge procedure,
as well as transport to and from various departments as necessary.
- Assists in maintaining a safe and clean environment by properly
caring for equipment, reporting equipment out of order and other
problems to the charge nurse; and appropriate handling of clean and
dirty linen and supplies on the unit.
- Assists with postmortem care and transport of bodies to morgue.
- Assists in cleaning/stocking rooms and checking equipment.
- Performs routine duties required to maintain a safe,
well-stocked and orderly environment to ensure the provision of
optimal patient care.
- Reduces the risk of healthcare acquired infections by following
current CDC appropriate PPE at all times and hand hygiene
guidelines and department policies.
- Assures accuracy of patient identification through verifying
patient name, medical record number and patient birth date prior to
- Verifies critical test results, reports them to appropriate
healthcare professional in a timely fashion, and does not use items
on the Forbidden Abbreviations list.
- Checks clinical equipment within their scope to make sure that
alarms are audible and working properly.
- Assists in the prevention of patient falls.
- Labels all medications on and off the sterile field.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- May perform any task not required to be performed by licensed
- This position is required to work on call as a condition of
- Maintains a level of computer literacy appropriate to their
- Demonstrates Respect for People
- Participates in ongoing Quality Improvement activities. Makes
recommendations when needed in order to meet or exceed our
- Assumes responsibility for self-development and growth by
attending continuing education programs, in-service programs,
participating in mandatory training, monthly department meetings
and ALS staff meetings.
- Responsible for monitoring competencies and participating in
those activities to the ongoing development of self and profession.
- Develops productive working relationships fostering trust and
accountability in self and co-workers.
- Maintains flexibility in the efficient and effective use of
time due to unpredictable patient demandJob RequirementsHigh school
diploma or equivalent. Pennsylvania EMT certification. Basic
cardiac rhythm class preferred.
Keywords: WellSpan Health, Germantown , ALS Technician - Waynesboro Hospital, Healthcare , Waynesboro, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!