Health and Safety Manager - CIH
Company: Versar, Inc.
Posted on: January 9, 2021
Versar is seeking an experienced Health & Safety Manager to work
at our Germantown, MD, Richardson, TX or Springfield, VA location.
The Health and Safety Manager will provide leadership, direction,
and safety focused guidance to our organization.In this role, the
ideal candidate will have a proven track record in the practical
application of health and safety management, recent hands-on
experience designing/delivering health and safety training. The
Health & Safety Manager must possess the ability to implement
imperative health and safety policies and procedures.The Health &
Safety Manager will maintain open communication with key
stakeholders to support company H&S-related objectives. This
position plays a key role in the company's project safety
management and program implementation, monitoring project
activities for compliance with safety requirements and performing
formal safety inspections/audits regularly.Responsibilities:
- Work with project personnel and contractors to ensure
- Assist with subcontractor prequalification by reviewing
contractor safety program documentation and statistics.
- Evaluate contractors'/subcontractors' ability to perform and
meet project safety requirements.
- Prepare and/or review H&S plans, procedures, risk
assessments, permits, safety reports and field- generated safety
- Review and sign-off Accident Prevention Plans (APPs) or Health
and Safety Plans (HASPS) for projects Versar is bidding on.
- Proactively address health and safety related issues.
- Perform project safety risk assessments and identify risk
- Participate in investigation of health and safety concerns and
incidents along overseeing implementation of corrective
- Report to corporate management occurrences and outcomes of
safety related incidents.
- Conduct safety training sessions and orientations in office
settings and in the field
- Collect and/or evaluate worker exposure data and provide
- Participate in external and internal presentations, conference
calls and other communications.
- Develop reports and H&S communication to disseminate
incidents, lessons learned and best practices.
- Provide technical guidance for a wide variety of health and
safety issues and concerns.
- Collect and report safety performance data and observations in
accordance with Versar and client-required systems.
- Network with industry associations, colleague companies,
H&S professionals and regulatory bodies; benchmark against
industry and company standards.
- Maintain a cooperative working relationship with Federal, State
and Local agencies to verify compliance and resolve issues.
- Define and measure project safety performance against industry
- Mobilize and attend investigations of any serious
- Advise on changes in legislation/ regulatory requirements
- Foster continuous safety improvement.Qualifications:
- BS degree in Occupational Safety & Health, Environmental,
Engineering or Science.
- 10+ years' experience as a hands-on safety professional
responsible for implementing and enforcing safety programs within
the construction and environmental services arena, including a
minimum of 3+ years field experience as an SSHO.
- Recent government experience required
- Professional certification - Certified Industrial Hygienist
- Proven ability to provide technical leadership and functional
guidance to ensure the Corporate Health and Safety Program is being
implemented throughout the corporation.
- Familiarity with government projects and demonstrated work
experience with provisions of EM385-1-1. (40-hour training
certificate a plus)
- Authorized OSHA 500 Construction Outreach Trainer and/or OSHA
501 General Industry Outreach Trainer.
- Current HAZWOPER 40-hour training certificate. Ability to
complete the 8-hour supervisors training within 6 months of
- Familiar with DOT and IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations and
other national transportation regulations.
- Knowledge of OHSAS 18001 a plus.
- Skilled in project management and risk management systems.
- Strong organizational, management, statistical, analytical
- Demonstrated success in influencing and motivating safety
performance of Versar employees and contractors.
- Technical competence in construction and, general industry
Health and Safety practices.
- Experience in developing, providing and documenting training
- Excellent presentation and training skills
- Skilled in auditing processes and protocols.
- Experienced in evaluating the effectiveness and compliance of
the Health and Safety program through self-audits.
- Able to evaluate safety performance indicators and direct
- Expert in incident investigation and root cause analysis, also
able to mentor management and field supervision through the process
in order to determine proper corrective actions.
- Demonstrated experience in improving corporate level safety
ratings such as TRIR, DART or EMR
- Providing oversight and management of safety programs for a
wide variety of environments, locations, and services including but
not limited to general industry, construction, environmental
remediation, or unexploded ordnance.
- Experienced in OSHA Recordkeeping and document management
- Exceptional writing, communication and interpersonal
- Proficient in MS Office and web-based applications.
- Willingness to travel (up to 30%).
Keywords: Versar, Inc., Germantown , Health and Safety Manager - CIH, Healthcare , Germantown, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!