Director of Organizational Change Management and Effectiveness
Company: National Student Clearinghouse
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Are you looking for more than just a jobandwantto make
difference?If so, then join theNational StudentClearinghouse talent
communityand discover your impact today!
We are a nonprofit,nongovernmental organization and the leading
provider of educational reporting, data exchange, verification, and
research services.Serving the education, workforce and learner
communities has been at the heart of our mission for over 25
years.Our work - performed in a trusted, secure, and private
environment - provides numerous time- and cost-saving benefits to
students, schools, administrators, and requestors.
About the Role:
The Director, Organizational Change Management and Effectiveness
will lead the charge in building and growing the Clearinghouse's
newly formed Organizational Change Management (OCM) function within
Human Resources. The OCM function is critical in helping the
Clearinghouse successfully manage its multiple large-scale
transformational initiatives. With the Clearinghouse's Five-Year
Strategic Plan, an effective OCM function will support the
Clearinghouse to engage and prepare its internal stakeholders and
effectively help the organization to evolve to its desired future
In support of the organization's strategic initiatives,
particularly but not limited to Invest in Our People and Culture,
the Director will be a driving force behind the effective design
and successful activation of the new OCM function across the
organization, including establishing key OCM related processes,
ways of working, collateral materials, and best practices in change
In close partnership and collaboration with the Strategy Delivery
Office (SDO), the Director will align and establish key strategies
to support successful change adoption and sustainment for existing
prioritized Clearinghouse initiatives by leveraging and optimizing
cross functional teams and resources. This position will combine
consultative and coaching support to internal clients in executing
a wide range of organizational and process-oriented initiatives as
defined in the Five-Year Strategic Plan as well as assist the
organization in navigating business challenges and resulting
changes through clear messaging, stakeholder management, employee
enablement, and change readiness efforts. This position will
partner closely with the Internal Communications team to articulate
a clear vision for change and develop a communications plan to
disseminate information, concepts, and change to various internal
audiences. The position will have the opportunity to leverage the
resources and programs available in Total Rewards and the various
HR functions within Human Resources. Additionally, the Director
will monitor adoption and measure the success of various change
interventions. Working in close partnership with stakeholders,
including members of the Executive and Senior Leadership, the
position will support the assessment, design, development,
activation, and measurement of comprehensive organizational and/or
This position will report to the Senior Director, Human
Currently, this position is 100% telework, however, as our company
starts to return to our new normal, a hybrid work pattern, this
position may be required to periodically work on-site at our
Herndon office, and the frequency would depend on the
department/division's requirements. Therefore, candidates must
reside within a reasonable distance to commute to our Herndon
office when required.
- Demonstrate the Clearinghouse's competencies, which align with
our corporate value Manager will provide more detail to candidates
- Senior Leadership Competencies include: Balances Stakeholders,
Cultivates Innovation, Drives Vision and Purpose, Strategic
Mindset, and Understanding the Business.
- Deal effectively with conflict, reach agreement without
damaging relationships and find win-win solutions.
- Develop and foster a partnership relationship with a diverse
group of stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Balance the needs of various stakeholders focusing on
delivering value added solutions and services.
- Work closely, drive and lead key internal resources that will
drive new business/solutions.
- Encourage and support creativity, ideation, and innovated
thinking by staff and create plan for implementation. Views
failures as opportunity to learn.
- Move beyond traditional ways of doing things and push past
Driving Vision and Purpose:
- Lead by example with a high level of emotional intelligence and
demonstrate a positive and intellectually curious demeanor about
the Clearinghouse's mission, vision, values, and opportunities for
the Clearinghouse to provide value to the education community and
- Guide staff and other leaders on how they contribute to the
company mission and vision in a clear, relatable, and optimistic
- Demonstrate and instill our cultural values and transparent
Understanding the Business:
- Develop, maintain, and demonstrate a strong working knowledge
of the Clearinghouse, its environment, including its mission,
services, and key stakeholders and how each organizational unit
contributes to that mission.
- Actively seek opportunities for efficiencies and cost-effective
solutions that reduce costs and optimize results.
How You Contribute:
- Build, stand up and manage the organizational change management
(OCM) function, including defining key change related processes,
procedures, frameworks, and tools with Human Resources.
- Play a leadership role in the definition, development, and
sustainment of the new Change Management function. Support the
translation of the strategic direction and business objectives into
holistic change strategies.
- Leverage best practices and approaches in change management
tools and methodologies. Apply human-centered design techniques to
drive adoption of behaviors that lead to desired Clearinghouse
future state. Foster OCM literacy across the
- Continuously identify leading practices to develop and apply
tools, techniques, and approaches to managing change throughout
various levels of the organization and business.
- Lead and support the organizational transformation and
evolution journey. Provide change management expertise to ensure
new programs, processes, and tools are adopted successfully and
meet the needs of the business and our stakeholders.
- Aligning with the Clearinghouse Five-Year Strategic Plan,
define OCM's first year foundational goals and objectives. Gather
information, build action plans, and engage employees in design and
development of plans and execute. Align OCM resources to support
- Provide leadership and facilitation for change management
interventions and forums to ensure alignment across various
stakeholders and project teams.
- Build change management capability in others, including HR
professionals, business leaders and project leaders on change
management methods and the application of change management best
practices and tools.
- Work closely with the Agile Transformation team, aligning with
Lean Agile principles to support the organization through the Agile
Transformation and associated culture changes.
- Develop, define, track, and analyze performance and "change
- Monitor progress, identify issues, celebrate successes, and
support continuous improvement of changes implemented.
- Support the build out and maintenance of dashboards and reports
- Provide leadership development and coaching for leaders and
managers of people to enable sustainable organization performance
and culture alignment with business strategy.
- Work closely with ELT and SLT members to coach and guide them
on their change role as leaders and to promote leadership alignment
for organizational change efforts.
- Serve as an organization change consultant and apply change
management approaches to enhance effective stakeholder engagement
implementation of organization initiatives.
- Develop and deploy talent management and organizational
effectiveness solutions to include tools and processes that drive
employee engagement and performance excellence.
- Lead and support enterprise talent management programs to
support the Clearinghouse's leadership and people managers to
include performance management, culture engagement, talent review
and succession planning.
- Develop project structure approach and work plan for evaluation
of talent management programs and implementation plans, as
- Build, lead, develop, and mentor a team of change champions,
ambassadors, and influencers.
- Effect change at the grassroots level, lead work groups charged
with implementing organization department or unit level employee
engagement and culture strategies, as needed.
- Provide consultation and subject matter expertise in talent
management and organizational effectiveness program design
development and deployment.
- Develop and share best practices, conduct, and provide gap
analysis and assessment. Provide team facilitation and solutions,
- Build a team-based environment that aligns with company values,
ways of working, and competencies.
- Recruit and select the best talent to help optimize skills and
experiences and motivate and manage staff to maximize productivity
- Develop and manage career development and advancement
opportunities at the Clearinghouse through MAPS conversations,
developing and reporting on performance and goals, and defining and
monitoring training and development plans to ensure job and career
- Ensure staff is adequately trained and provide guidance as
- Monitor employee performance and conduct appraisals.
- Reward employees using formal and informal methods.
Position may be required to perform other duties as required. These
essential functions are representative of those that must be met by
an employee to successfully perform the job. Reasonable
accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform these essential functions.
What You Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Management, Human Resources, or
related field (Master's degree preferred).
- Minimum of 8-10 years of relevant experience with at least
direct 5 years of leadership experience in leading change
management, stakeholder engagement or organizational design and
- 3+ years of experience managing a diverse team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective change management
methodologies, tools, and approaches, such as human-centered design
and/or Agile methodology.
- Experience with large-scale, enterprise-wide culture
- Strong people leadership, organizational,
relationship-building, and negotiation skills.
- Strong project management skills and ability to create work and
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Lead and coach various audiences and stakeholders
- Work effectively with and influence cross-functional teams in a
- Deliver results under difficult conditions, particularly when
faced with complexity and ambiguity.
- Excellent communication and effective facilitation and
outstanding presentation skills, with the demonstrated ability to
communicate effectively and confidently to all levels of
- Self-starter with self-confidence, enthusiasm, and strong
customer service orientation.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and other collaboration
- Talented at the Management competencies:
- Making complex decisions - Demonstrated ability to gain clear
understanding of an initiative and represent it to various
stakeholders across the organization.
- Being flexible and adaptable - Demonstrated ability to work in
a fast-paced working environment and work in a diplomatic and
tactful manner with others.
- Building collaborative relationships and optimizing diverse
talent - Demonstrated ability to develop and lead a team in a
positive and professional manner with a proven track record of
facilitating cross-departmental issue identification, problem
solving, and resolution.
- Focusing on performance - Proven track record of prioritizing
and managing multiple projects and driving them to successful
completion and creating a performance and metrics-focused
- Live within a commutable distance of Herndon, VA.
- Are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a good faith
basis for seeking an exemption from this requirement.
Additional Desired Requirements:
- Change Management certification or equivalent.
- Experience working in the consulting industry is a plus,
preferably for a large global consulting company.
- Use of a computer for 8 or more hours a day.
- Use of a copy machine and telephone.
- Frequently required to sit for 7 or more hours per day in close
proximity to others in an open office environment.
- Occasionally required to use hands and fingers to operate,
handle, and reach.
- Vision abilities include close vision and the ability to adjust
- Must have oral communication and hearing abilities.
- Travel via car, train, and/or airplane, when needed (up to 10%
in a given year).
Compliance with Executive Order 14042
The health and safety of our employees and their families are top
priorities of the National Student Clearinghouse. With the
continuing impacts of COVID-19 in our nation and around the world,
we are doing our part to protect the health and well-being of our
workforce and the communities where we operate. The Clearinghouse
is a federal contractor, rendering us subject to Executive Order
14042 and associated guidance requiring employees to be fully
vaccinated for COVID-19. Therefore, all Clearinghouse employees and
new hires must be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination
as a condition of employment, or have an approved reasonable
accommodation (based on a disability or medical condition, or a
sincerely held religious belief) exempting them from the
By applying for this position, you are stating that you are already
fully vaccinated or will be fully vaccinated by your start date, or
you have a good faith basis for seeking an exemption from the
vaccination requirement.Individuals requesting a reasonable
accommodation should do so during the post-offer process, and any
requested accommodations must be reviewed and approved (if
applicable) before your start date.
Benefits and Related Information
The National Student Clearinghouse provides a robust benefit
program designed to help meet the needs of each employee and their
family, both now and in the future. We offer comprehensive medical,
dental, and vision insurance, as well as life and disability
insurance benefits, for employees and their qualified dependents.
Health care, dependent care, and limited purpose flexible spending
accounts, as well as a health savings account, are options
available for employees to set aside pre-taxed dollars for certain
qualifying expenses. We offer a very generous 401k matching
contribution program with the opportunity to defer pre-tax and Roth
contributions, as well as catch-up contributions for those who are
eligible! We are proud to offer a competitive paid leave program
consisting of vacation, sick, and personal time, as well as paid
holidays. Vacation time will accrue based on length of service, and
new full-time hires can accrue up to 13 days of vacation and up to
10 days of sick time per year. On an annual basis, new employees
may use up to 32 hours of accrued sick time as personal time.
Additionally, the Clearinghouse observes at least 11 paid holidays
Another perk is that employees have the option to get reimbursed
for basic wholesale company and roadside assistance memberships
(e.g., Costco and AAA) and to request a buy back on portions of
unused accrued vacation based on tenure and certain other
qualifications. Employees can further their education and
professional development by using our Employee Education Assistance
Program, which establishes reimbursement for qualified education
expenses upon successful completion of the program, and leveraging
the enterprise-wide LinkedIn Learning subscription. There are
additional employee benefits, to find out more, please request a
copy of our complete benefit package!
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner
discriminate against employees or applicants because they have
inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of
another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as
a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of
other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise
have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is
(a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance
of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Keywords: National Student Clearinghouse, Germantown , Director of Organizational Change Management and Effectiveness, Executive , Herndon, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!